Monday, December 1, 2008

Next Blog

Have you noticed the 'next blog' button at the top of some people's blogs?  Sometimes, when I'm bored I'll click through and just browse what blogger has to offer.  It's fun to see what other people post, I like the ones dedicated to photography, crafts, art, etc.  One thing that annoys me though is that nearly 9 put of 10 are in languages other than English.  Tonight in my browsing I found this but didn't think to get the site address for reference, though the original 'writer' is listed: 

Make a memory with your children,
 Spend some time to show you care; 
Toys and trinkets can't replace those 
Precious moments that you share. 
Money doesn't buy real pleasure, 
It doesn't matter where you live; 
Children need your own attention, 
Something only you can give. 
Childhood's days pass all too quickly, 
Happy memories all too few; 
Plan to do that special something, 
Take the time to go or do. 
Make a memory with your children, 
Take the time in busy days; 
Have some fun while they are growing, 
Show your love in gentle ways. 

Elaine Hardt, 1977

I need to remember to slow down, not sweat the small things and create memories with my children.  It makes me happier to do things like that, so I have got to start making more of an effort.  I need to listen to my kids (Hunter now, Calvin in the near future) and if they want to go visit grandma today, go outside and ride bikes, sit on the patio at Sonic and enjoy an ice cream treat rather than rushing back home to eat it or play in the bath a little bit longer, I need to take time out of my 'busy,' nearly meaningless schedule and make my days and time with them meaningful.  They won't always want to spend quality time with me, so I need to make the most of when they do!

1 comment:

Elaine said...

I'm delighted you've quoted my poem, "Make a Memory." I also have a blog, EncouragingU.blogspot.com and hope it will be a blessing.
Thanks again!