Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I actually did it!

I made something from my 'Things I Like" column on the right!  Today, on the way home from work I went to get the supplies I need to make some of these wreaths.  I had to buy all of my fabric because I just didn't have any remnants lying around that would work for the red, white and blue theme.  I bought 8 different fabrics in 1/2 yard lengths and also found 3 remnants in the bin that would work so I got those as well.  While the lady was cutting one of the fabrics she said 'looks like we're going to have a remnant here so I'll give that to you at half price' and she ended up charging me full price for only THREE inches of the fabric, and gave me the rest (a full yard I believe) at 1/2 of the sale (50% off) price!  All of the 4th of July print fabric was 50% off so that was great.  I also got 3 embroidery hoops (size: 12") because I do plan to make more than one wreath.

Imagine my excitement when I came home to not one but TWO sleeping boys!  
That almost never happens so I got right to work while time was in my favor!

2:57 - my supplies, laid out and ready for me to start
Because most of my fabrics were in 18" lengths (1/2 yard) I just used that as the length of my strips and cut them all 2" wide.  I actually measured, but I think that a wreath made less precisely would be just as, if not more, fabulous!  

I had 10 different fabrics.  I used 8 strips of each fabric, plus used one fabric twice around my wreath.  I'm a tad on the 'anal' side and so I did a pattern on the wreath so I wouldn't have to think too much and worry about getting too much red on one side.  So, my pattern repeated 8 times and each section had 11 strips (i.e. I used 88 two-inch strips) if that helps you to figure out how much fabric you'll need.  I have quite a bit of fabric left over to make another wreath or 2 but it's always better to have too much than not enough, right? 

3:48 - Calvin wakes up to 'help'

4:22 - my project is complete
I'm not sure if I'd rather have shorter length strips so the wreath is a bit more poofy or if I like them as is.  What do you think?  Maybe I'll try my next one a little shorter.

I do have a feeling I'll make a wreath for each holiday - how fun!
Thanks to PamperingBeki for the idea!

1 comment:

Annie Lee said...

I am so impressed. Very cute! And i LOVE the picture of Calvin. such a sweetie.